The Devon Bridge Premier Teams of Four Championship for the Western Morning News Trophy
A knock-out competition running from October to May, played in player's homes.
Teams losing their first match will be entered into the Plate.
The main draw counts towards the Kevin and Ann Slee Trophy (Victor Ludorum).
Players must have primary membership of the Devon Bridge Association.
Green points will be awarded for wins in the main draw, local points in the Plate.
The winning team, or the runners-up, will represent the County in the EBU’s Pachabo Cup.
The 2019-20 Final was played in February and March online, and won by Stefan Lindfors, Jim Grant, Warner Solomon and Alex Maddocks. They will now, as agreed by the committee, represent Devon in the EBU’s Pachabo Cup in 2021.
The 2019/20 Plate is void.
How to Enter
Entries must be made for 4, 5 or 6 players (5th and 6th players may be entered any time before the quarter final) by the first Friday in October. Entries can be made either by online form and bank transfer or by paper entry form and cheque sent to the Tournament Administrator. The cost is £30 per team and includes entry to the plate.
There will be a referee on call for all matches.
Fixing a Date
- The higher team in the draw is the home team and shall be responsible for organising the venue after consultation with the opposing captain.
- It is the responsibility of the home team to provide boards and stationery
- It is the responsibility of the home team to provide refreshments and a suitable break from play in which to consume them.
- Within 7 days of the end date of the previous round, the lower team in the draw (the away team) must offer at least four dates to their opponents, not all in the same week. At least one of these (but not all) must be on a Saturday or Sunday. Within a further 7 days, one of these dates must be accepted by their opponents.
- If the two teams fail to agree on a date to play (or in the case of any other dispute) the matter shall be referred to the Tournament Administrator, who may refer to the Appeals Committee, to which committee the disputants also have the right to appeal.
Number of Boards
In the main draw, matches are of 32 boards in 4 sets of 8 (up to and including the quarter-finals); 40 boards in 5 sets of 8 (semi-finals) and 48 boards in 6 sets of 8 (final).
In the Plate, all matches are over 24 boards played in 4 sets of 6.
The captain who wins the toss may take the first choice or pass that choice to his opponent. Choices are made as follows:
- For matches of 32 or 24 boards in 4 sets of 8 or 6 : 1st choice : the captain selects one stanza in which he will have seating rights (ie how to place his own pairs after opponents have nominated their line-up), 2nd choice : the other captain next selects two of the remaining 3 stanzas in which he will have seating rights, and the remaining stanza is then taken by the captain who had first choice.
- For matches of 40 boards in 5 sets of 8 : 1st choice : the captain selects 2 stanzas, which may not be both stanzas 4 & 5 (but may be one or other of these), in which he will have seating rights, 2nd choice : the other captain then has seating rights in the remaining 3 stanzas.
- For matches of 48 boards in 6 sets of 8 : 1st choice : the captain selects 2 stanzas, which may not be both stanzas 5 & 6 (but may be one or other of these), in which he will have seating rights, 2nd choice : the other captain next selects 3 of the remaining 4 stanzas in which he will have seating rights. The remaining stanza is then taken by the captain who had first choice.
Notification of Result
Both teams must forward the result with the names of their players to the Tournament Administrator as soon as possible.
The Pachabo Cup
It is a condition of entry that the winning team, or the runners-up, will represent the County in the EBU’s Pachabo Cup (The Inter-Counties Teams of Four event). The entry will be made by the treasurer on behalf of the team and entry fees, but not expenses, will be paid by the Association.
2020 Winners: Stefan Lindfors, Jim Grant, Warner Solomon and Alex Maddocks.
Please see the rulebook (pdf) for further information.