June 2021 Meeting MinutesPublished on Jun 15, 2021
Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the DBA held online on 3 Jun 2021
The meeting opened at 5pm.
1. Present: (Secretary) Doug Dunn; (North) Neil Marsden; (North) Elizabeth Nunn; (North) Jacqui Munns; (East) Jean Harrison.
Appologies – Geoff Clements
2. Previous Minutes
Minutes for April were accepted and approved NM, seconded EN.
Matters arising – In the Garden City regional final Devon came 9th out of 14, winners were Young Chelsea. Thanks given to team representing Devon.
3. Section Reports
- AGM to be held 9th June.
- Results of the survey are available to read on the North Devon website. Highlights – 50% of members are over 75 so need to encourage new young members. Many people want to improve their bridge, most want to return the f2f but there might be a shortfall. Comments at the end of the survey are interesting and worth reading.
- Thanks NM and JM for helping to provide and present such an informative survey.
- Online weekly duplicates are still popular, slight seasonal drop off as expected.
- Gypsy Hill still available for when f2f returns, depending on 21 June Government guidelines.
- Bridge classes planned to go ahead in the autumn.
4. Online Sub-Committee
At the last meeting attended by JM, TT and DD it was proposed to end the monthly sub-committee meetings and reconvene as and when required. Accepted by the DBA committee.
TT’s report on the Wed DBA vPairs was read out. Agreed to continue indefinitely as long as there is support. As the event has been making a slight loss it was agreed unanimously to raise the table money from £1.50 to £2 from July 14th (following DBA AGM).
6. Western League Update – Thanks JM and NM for attending and reporting back
AGM held on the 15th May 2021, hosted by Chris Chowney (Herefordshire) with representatives from Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, East Wales, Somerset, and Wiltshire.
- Seasons 2019–20 and 2020–21
After discussion it was decided unanimously that the W.L. would not hold a final this year. The 2019–20 season was unfinished and the Spring 2021 competitions were never intended to be relevant to any other event.
- Spring 2021 Competitions
The meeting thanked Chris Chowney for all his efforts in getting the two competitions organised. It was agreed that because of the complexity of the NGS ranking system, and in an effort to be fair to all that took part, that the competitions would not contribute towards NGS rankings. Master points will be issued in early June, and counties will receive requests for their contribution at the same time. The amount will be approximately £20 per team, and this was thought to represent good value.
- National League
The meeting noted the suggestion that an online national inter-county league competition and system should be established and organised centrally by the EBU. Its merits were acknowledged. However, it was decided to reserve judgement until the EBU had made its position known. Chris Bickerdike (Cornwall), who initiated the discussions with the EBU, was asked to pursue the idea on behalf of the W.L. There is shortly to be a meeting of EBU county chairs, so each county is advised to make their own chair aware of the suggestion.
- Season 2021–22
With no certainty that there will be a National League established this year, the meeting decided to hold its own W.L. competition in the coming season. The competition is to be fully EBU compliant, with the winners qualifying for any inter-regional final. Details of season 2021-22 will be posted on the DBA website.
7. Returning to F2F bridge
Much depending on whether restrictions are lifted on 21 June. We should learn from clubs that do return to f2f.
8. AGM business
The AGM agenda was revised and will be sent to TT and RE for emailing to members and for the DBA website. Election proposals for committee positions appear on the agenda.
Meeting ended 6.05pm.
Date of next DBA meeting: TBA
AGM 11th July 2pm (online)